POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Import of CAD Geomerty in IGES format : Import of CAD Geomerty in IGES format Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:16:06 EDT (-0400)
  Import of CAD Geomerty in IGES format
From: Lionheart
Date: 15 Jan 2000 09:25:13
Message: <38808435.E1484449@gmx.net>
Hello all folks !

Visualizing CAD Modelles created with CAD Systems like Pro/Engineer and
CATIA is a hard thing to do. For documentation and presentation purposes
I want to render my CAD modells using  POVRAY because of its unlimited
possibilities. Does anyone know methods how to import CAD data in form
of IGES files, describing the surface of the CAD Modells, directly in to
the POVRAY system ? I found no possibilitty to import these data even in
modellers like MORAY. Perhaps another possible way is to transform the
IGES surfaces into a mesh via triangulation. Triangulation is very easy
to do with CATIA. But how may I transform the generated triangles into
the smoth_traingle obejects used by POVRAY  ?

Greetings, Lionheart.